Rental Assistance

I Live in Princeton and My Income Has Been Affected by COVID 

Click Here to Download Our Rental Assistance Application Form

Descargar el Formulario de Solicitud de Asistencia de Alquiler

Residents of PHA are eligible to apply, but should  recertify their rent with PHA if their income is affected by COVID prior to applying.

Everyone Else applying for Rental Assistance

You do not need to be a Princeton Resident and your situation does not need to be Covid-related.

If you have questions about rental assistance please call 609-921-2328.

Si usted tiene preguntas acerca de la asistencia para el pago de la renta, por favor llame al número 609-921- 2328.

Online Applications:

We have limited non CDBG Rental Assistance funds currently available.

For other Rental Assistance options please see the attached documents about the Mercer County ERAP and other possible available resources.

*  CDBG funds are restricted to Covid related, Princeton town occupants only

Spanish version:

Actualmente los fondos que tenemos para la asistencia para la renta, diferentes al programa CDBG, son limitados.

Estamos trabajando arduamente para reponer estos fondos, por favor consulte continuamente nuestra página, ya que estaremos actualizando esta información constantemente.

Para otras opciones de asistencia  para la renta, por favor consulte los documentos adjuntos del Condado de Mercer ERAP y los otros recursos disponibles.

* Los fondos de CDBG son restringidos para casos relacionados con COVID, y personas que vivan en Princeton Town



General Rental Assistance

Feel free to reach out to these resources for assistance : 

Resources for Rental Assistance: English

Resources for Rental Assistance: Spanish

Emergency Rental Assistance Flyer: English

Emergency Rental Assistance Flyer: Spanish

NJ Emergency Rental Assistance Program

Housing Initiatives of Princeton/CDBG Program


 What is the HIP/CDBG program?

The Program is the outcome of Princeton Council Resolution 20-383 authorizing an agreement with Housing Initiatives of Princeton (HIP) through which HIP will assist the municipality in administering the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funds the town received from the federal government to promote housing stability. HIP will be providing emergency rental assistance to qualifying Princeton residents for up to 3 months of rent payments.

Who is eligible to receive these funds?

Princeton residents who are renters who need help to pay their rent as a result of the COVID pandemic.

How do I apply?

By filling out an application (in English or Spanish) found at  The application will ask you to self-certify your current income and the fact that you have been impacted by COVID.  It will also ask you to submit a current, valid signed lease.

What is Self-certification?

Self-certification is a sworn statement that your income is accurate and that the impact of COVID on your ability to pay your rent is accurate.

What do I do if I am not on a lease?

You can ask your landlord to provide you with a lease or you can reach out to HIP for our help with this by calling 609-921-2328.

We urge landlords to review your tenants’ leases to ensure that they are current and list all tenants by name. HIP will not share the application or the leases with the municipality, and the funding source (HUD) does not generally require HIP to share information about individual applications.

You can apply for rental assistance with the Mercer County Board of Social Services (MCBOSS) at

For more information you can call them at 609-389-3575 or email

What is Mediation?

Mediation is an opportunity for the tenant and landlord to meet virtually and, with the help of an impartial mediator, reach an agreement about the amount of rent that HIP will pay the landlord on behalf of the tenant.

In most cases, rather than formal mediation, HIP is negotiating directly with the landlords to reach agreed-upon reduced rental amounts in order help as many tenants as possible with limited funds.

Do I need to participate in Mediation?

No. Tenants who have been approved for assistance may request a mediation session if they have issues they would like mediated with their landlord.

What is the timeline?

Applications for CDBG rental assistance are being accepted on a rolling basis.

HIP will review the applications to determine:

  • eligibility for the program
  • level of need

We hope to help as many people as possible with the funds available.  The actual number who will receive assistance will depend on the volume of the applications received, and we will prioritize those with the most need.